Subject: bug#59899: closed (Re: bug#59899: 30.0.50; Failing to match org-agenda properties)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 07:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59899: 30.0.50; Failing to match org-agenda properties

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59899: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59899
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59899: 30.0.50; Failing to match org-agenda properties
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 08:59:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 18:18:11 -0500
> 
> This regression should be fixed in the Org repo with Ihor's 5d14e88c5
> (org-make-tags-matcher: Fix regexp, 2022-12-07), which will be included
> in the next sync.
> 
> related Org mailing thread:
> https://list.orgmode.org/87pmcvh2u2.fsf@localhost

Thanks, so I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; Failing to match org-agenda properties
From: Brent Westbrook <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 22:35:54 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In emacs -Q, with a simple org agenda file like:

* TODO try out org mode
SCHEDULED: <2022-12-07 Wed 23:00>

in /tmp/test.org, setting

(setq org-agenda-files '("/tmp/test.org"))

and running M-x org-agenda m and typing the queries SCHEDULED>="<today>"
or SCHEDULED="<today>", I get no results, but if I do
SCHEDULED<="<today>" or SCHEDULED<"<today>", it does work. This is
pretty minor in this example, but for potentially large agenda files,
this could cause a lot of work. For example, in the org-alert package I
help maintain, we use `org-map-entries` filtered with a MATCH argument
like

"SCHEDULED>=\"<today>\"+SCHEDULED<\"<tomorrow>\"|DEADLINE>=\"<today>\"+DEADLINE<\"<tomorrow>\""

to select only upcoming events. I noticed that I didn't get
notifications for events on my agenda today, and this query now failing
seems to be the root cause. Even simplifying it to the first part
"SCHEDULED>=\"<today>\"", as in the example above, fails to return any
results. I've also tried SCHEDULED<"<tomorrow>" alone as a query, but it
yields scheduled items from today and tomorrow.

I've checked this page
(https://orgmode.org/manual/Matching-tags-and-properties.html) of the
org manual and the breaking changes section of the 9.6 release notes but
can't see what I'm doing wrong. I'd be happy to update my queries if
that's the issue, but at least right now I think there might be a bug in
this tag-matching code. I might poke around and try to submit a patch
tomorrow if I can find anything.

I just rebuilt my emacs from the master branch to make sure this hasn't
been fixed in the past couple of days and am still able to reproduce it
on commit 5d68cc99177569a661da0ac75bb7df1ec4098fda. I think it was
working before I updated to the version with org 9.6, but I'm not
entirely sure.

Thanks,

Brent Westbrook