Subject: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 11:02:21 +0000

Max Nikulin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 27/12/2022 16:47, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Can you then try to test using Emacs 28?
>> The main question if whether this has been fixed in newer Emacs releases
>> or it is also something to do with OS environment.
>
> I see quite the same issue with Emacs-28.2 in Debian testing. Compile 
> buffer displays a bit more warnings and usual `org-assert-version' 
> warnings and errors are present as well. It might have another level of 
> complexity due to .eln files. I am unsure what happens with calls to 
> undefined macros.

I asked people around to test using Debian, and we do have a
confirmation that Debian + Emacs 27 and Debian + Emacs 28 do trigger the
error.

I also installed Debian 11.6.0 on virtual machine, and I was also able to
trigger the error, following the provided steps, using the Emacs 27
installed via apt-get.

The problem seems to be real and appears to be some combination of
Debian/Ubuntu + Emacs.

Considering the popularity of Debian-based distros, may someone take a
closer look on what may be going on? Since the latest Emacs release also
suffers from the problem, I am afraid that the issue will be present in
the coming Emacs 29 as well (I recall no related fixes in recent Emacs).

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>