Subject: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:36:18 +0700

On 15/12/2022 11:17, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Max Nikulin [2022-12-14 23:02:53] wrote:
>> Completion failure for "org-to" happened because result of
>> `register-definition-prefixes' calls is not considered as options. I am
>> aware that it may give false positives, but I still believe they should
>> be added.
> 
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying.

My bad. "org-go" is completed to "org--goto" while "org-goto-" is not 
offered. The latter might be a variant because "org-goto" is registered 
as an autoload prefix. Ihor kindly created https://debbugs.gnu.org/60085 
"`help-enable-autoload' is not fully obeyed", so it is better to discuss 
it there.

>> Though I believe that org mixed version issue happens due to transitional
>> dependency of some third party package on org or something like (require
>> 'org-protocol) that can not be loaded on demand.
> 
> Hmm... indeed the "Subject:" talks about mixed versions, yet I was
> discussing something not directly related.  Looks like I got off-topic
> somewhere along the way without noticing, sorry.

I have impression that there is no recipe how to reproduce this bug yet, 
just reports that people have faced it. So aspects of autoload may be 
considered as a part of brainstorm.

Other ideas when built-in Org version may be loaded too early:
- restoring previous session.
- user configured Org agenda as startup buffer.

Can it happen that already loaded version affects compilation of a new 
version by package-install.