Subject: Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 14:59:50 +0200

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: David Masterson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:51:01 +0000
> 
> On a related note, is it normal that package like org-mouse.el gets
> loaded upon calling C-h f org-mouse- <TAB> completion prompt?
> org-mouse.el does not contain a single autoload cookie.

I think it's expected, because the doc strings need to be loaded.
Stefan, am I right?

> I am asking because org-mouse.el advises some functions and its loading
> may cause unexpected consequences. See
> https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]

I think org-mouse.el should be fixed not to cause such effects just by
loading it.  It should do that only when it is actually used.

> At the same time, we have users complaining about some defcustoms not
> being available without loading.
> https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]

That's too vague: it talks about "whether a variable exists", which is
ambiguous.  That a variable is not boundp until its definition is
loaded is perfectly expected, and I don't think defcustom changes that
in any way (unless you autoload the defcustom, which is considered not
the best style around here).

So I guess some clarification is in order: what exactly was the
problem with that variable being "nonexistent"?