Subject: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 13:57:40 +0200

> From: David Masterson <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 23:43:05 -0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> So, 'describe-variable' on org-version causes Org to be loaded?!?
> >
> > Why is it so surprising?  Is this the first time you see that a Help
> > command loads something to do its job?
> 
> Yes, it is surprising.  How did Emacs know to load Org to find
> org-version?  I didn't request it to by this action.  Or did it do a
> package-activate-all (or similar) to ensure that everything was loaded?
> That would be overkill.  Sometimes the best answer is 'nil'.

I don't think Emacs does package-activate-all.  But Help commands
frequently load packages to provide the documentation of the symbols
you ask about.  If this is surprising, then I suggest to get used to
it.