Subject: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Max Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 18:39:01 +0700

On 06/04/2023 22:02, Max Nikulin wrote:
> It is not a Debian packaging issue. I have reproduced the "invalid 
> function `org-assert-version'" bug using emacs built from emacs-28.2 git 
> tag. It is important to execute "make install" and to launch emacs from 
> from that directory.
> 
> I have no idea why behavior is different when emacs is launched from the 
> build tree.

When installed, built-in Org contains .elc and .el.gz files, but not .el 
ones. When uncompressed source .el files are present in 
$prefix/share/emacs-28.2/lisp/org (gunzip --keep *.el.gz) then the Org 
ELPA package compiles without warnings and errors related to 
`org-assert-version' (There is still a single warning though that does 
not lead to later failure during loading).

It seems new .el files are ignored when built-in directory contains no 
.el files. Definitions from the built-in .elc files are used during 
compilation in such case.