Subject: Re: bug#5987: ready for 8.5?

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:26:14 -0600

On 04/20/2010 04:17 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 20/04/10 17:58, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> With today's sort fix, in spite of it being for the
>> obsolete option format, I'm inclined to release coreutils-8.5.
>>
>> Do any of you know of pending problems you'd like to see fixed in 8.5?
> 
> No bugs outstanding for me and nothing seems pending at:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=coreutils
> 
> I'm sitting on features, some done, all mostly done,
> so perhaps now is a good time to stabilize before
> throwing those into the mix.

Given that we are releasing in part because of sort, I think we could
justify turning on your sort --debug patch.  It seems like we can only
help ourselves in answering bug reports about sort if we get that in
first.  Or put another way, the very existence of the patch will help us
identify if the patch somehow introduced inadvertent regressions.

I don't have anything other than my doc patch for sort outstanding that
I think is worth including now.

I also started a thread on gnulib a couple weeks ago on how best to use
xfreopen (actually, a new interface) to properly enable binary mode
without clobbering append mode, but haven't gotten back to it.  However,
the effect on cygwin of keeping the current code is no different than it
was for 8.4 (that is, it is not a showstopper to fix it before releasing
8.5).

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org