Subject: Re: bug#59868: 28.2.50; compilation-search-path incompatible with dir-locals

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:06:47 +0200

> From: Len Trigg <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 13:49:03 +1300
> 
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 at 02:01, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>  I don't think this variable is meant to be buffer-local in
>  *compilation* buffers.  If project.el wants to provide a project-local
>  value for this search path, it should define a new variable for that,
>  and then compilation-mode can set its own variable from that.
> 
> I'm not using project.el at all, this is simply using a .dir-locals.el in the root of my project to set
> project-specific variables.

You are ignoring the first sentence in my response, right?

The rest was a suggestion (and I do see a good reason why project.el
would like to provide this as a project-specific setting).

More generally, why would you want a directory-specific value for this
variable, if it isn't something the entire directory tree shares?

Maybe you should tell why you need to tell Emacs where to find the
sources?  Doesn't the tool you use to compile spell that out?

P.S. And please use Reply All to keep the bug tracker on the CC list,
so that this discussion gets recorded by the bug tracker.