Subject: bug#59858: 29.0.60; Preserve a nil erc-session-password when reconnecting

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 06:21:06 -0800

Hi people,

When reconnecting, `erc-determine-parameters' prefers reusing existing
session parameters, mainly by way of the various "compute" functions,
like `erc-compute-server'. But this isn't true if a parameter is nil.
The "danger" here is that, once exposed to new details, like the network
name, a custom auth-source-search function, for example, could reach a
different conclusion than it did initially, which could then lead to the
unwanted transmission of a non-server password via the PASS command.

One solution would be to just bypass `erc-determine-parameters' when
reconnecting and instead copy over all session vars verbatim while
leaving them unset in target buffers. However, there may be third-party
code expecting these vars to be recomputed whenever `erc-open' runs. So,
for the sake of compatibility, it's probably prudent to just focus on
`erc-session-password' for now because it's the likeliest offender (and
because passwords).

For this, we're mainly concerned with `erc-auth-source-server-function',
which always runs when reconnecting if the existing session password is
nil (and the opt itself is non-nil). One way to partially address this
might be to hide an existing "derived" `erc-network--id' from
`erc-auth-source-server-function' when reconnecting or opening a target
buffer. But this assumes a lot. Alternatively, we could just inhibit
`erc-auth-source-server-function' from running whenever
`erc--server-reconnecting' is non-nil and `erc-open' was called with a
nil session password, which is what this patch does.

(Better ideas welcome, as always.)

Thanks,
J.P.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-12-04 built on localhost
Repository revision: 4bcdb1cc65bf779b6479f99a7aa767ab83b3bae1
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils erc iso8601 time-date
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map thingatpt pp format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-backend erc-goodies
erc-networks byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile erc-common erc-compat
erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 64335 6194)
 (symbols 48 8606 0)
 (strings 32 23623 2014)
 (string-bytes 1 683188)
 (vectors 16 15217)
 (vector-slots 8 208663 8804)
 (floats 8 24 28)
 (intervals 56 227 0)
 (buffers 984 11))

>From 1275701490424d70a7bf568ee4e0e54d3f87ef23 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "F. Jason Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 23:11:24 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Respect a nil erc-session-password when reconnecting

* lisp/erc/erc.el (erc-open): Simplify `old-vars' expression.
(erc--compute-server-password): Only compute a server password when
first connecting.  For compatibility, this respects third-party code
that expects session passwords in target buffers when initially
non-nil.
* test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el
(erc-scenarios-services-auth-source-reconnect): Add new test.
* test/lisp/erc/resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld: Add new test
data file.
---
 lisp/erc/erc.el                               |  4 +-
 test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el  | 59 +++++++++++++++++++
 .../resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld  | 48 +++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 110 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
 create mode 100644 test/lisp/erc/resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld

diff --git a/lisp/erc/erc.el b/lisp/erc/erc.el
index 268d83dc44..e3733ccb96 100644
--- a/lisp/erc/erc.el
+++ b/lisp/erc/erc.el
@@ -1970,7 +1970,7 @@ erc-open
   (let* ((target (and channel (erc--target-from-string channel)))
          (buffer (erc-get-buffer-create server port nil target id))
          (old-buffer (current-buffer))
-         (old-vars (and (not connect) (buffer-local-variables)))
+         (old-vars (and target (buffer-local-variables)))
          (old-recon-count erc-server-reconnect-count)
          (old-point nil)
          (delayed-modules nil)
@@ -6452,6 +6452,8 @@ erc--compute-server-password
 When `erc-auth-source-server-function' is non-nil, call it with NICK for
 the user field and use whatever it returns as the server password."
   (or password (and erc-auth-source-server-function
+                    (not erc--server-reconnecting)
+                    (not erc--target)
                     (funcall erc-auth-source-server-function :user nick))))
 
 (defun erc-compute-full-name (&optional full-name)
diff --git a/test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el b/test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el
index cb1aa6ff32..176e7b7ed3 100644
--- a/test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el
+++ b/test/lisp/erc/erc-scenarios-services-misc.el
@@ -83,4 +83,63 @@ erc-scenarios-services-prompt
 
     (should-not (memq 'services erc-modules))))
 
+;; A user with `services' enabled connects, quits, and reconnects.  An
+;; entry in their netrc matches the network ID, which isn't known when
+;; `erc-auth-source-server-function' runs -- initially *or* on
+;; reconnect.  It's only seen by `erc-auth-source-services-function'.
+
+(ert-deftest erc-scenarios-services-auth-source-reconnect ()
+  :tags '(:expensive-test)
+  (erc-scenarios-common-with-cleanup
+      ((erc-scenarios-common-dialog "services/auth-source")
+       (erc-server-flood-penalty 0.1)
+       (dumb-server (erc-d-run "localhost" t 'recon 'recon))
+       (port (process-contact dumb-server :service))
+       (netrc-file (make-temp-file
+                    "auth-source-test" nil nil
+                    "machine FooNet login tester password changeme\n"))
+       (auth-sources (list netrc-file))
+       (auth-source-do-cache nil)
+       (erc-modules (cons 'services erc-modules))
+       (erc-use-auth-source-for-nickserv-password t) ; do consult
+       (erc-prompt-for-nickserv-password nil) ; don't prompt
+       (erc-nickserv-alist
+        (cons '(FooNet
+                "[email-masked]"
+                "This nickname is registered. Please choose"
+                "NickServ" "IDENTIFY" nil nil "You are now identified for ")
+              erc-nickserv-alist))
+       (expect (erc-d-t-make-expecter))
+       (erc-scenarios-common-extra-teardown (lambda ()
+                                              (delete-file netrc-file))))
+
+    (ert-info ("Server password omitted from initial connection")
+      (with-current-buffer (erc :server "127.0.0.1"
+                                :port port
+                                :nick "tester"
+                                :user "tester"
+                                :full-name "tester")
+        (should (string= (buffer-name) (format "127.0.0.1:%d" port)))
+        (ert-info ("Services module authenticates")
+          (funcall expect 10 "This nickname is registered.")
+          (funcall expect 3 "You are now identified"))
+        (erc-cmd-JOIN "#chan")
+        (with-current-buffer (erc-d-t-wait-for 10 (get-buffer "#chan"))
+          (funcall expect 10 "the gallants desire it"))
+        (erc-cmd-QUIT "")
+        (funcall expect 3 "finished")))
+
+    (ert-info ("Server password withheld on reconnect")
+      (with-current-buffer "#chan"
+        (erc-cmd-RECONNECT))
+      (with-current-buffer "FooNet"
+        (funcall expect 10 "This nickname is registered.")
+        (funcall expect 3 "You are now identified")
+        (with-current-buffer "#chan" ; autojoined
+          (funcall expect 10 "the gallants desire it"))
+        (erc-cmd-QUIT "")
+        (funcall expect 3 "finished")))
+
+    (erc-services-mode -1)))
+
 ;;; erc-scenarios-services-misc.el ends here
diff --git a/test/lisp/erc/resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld b/test/lisp/erc/resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld
new file mode 100644
index 0000000000..40ea3c9157
--- /dev/null
+++ b/test/lisp/erc/resources/services/auth-source/recon.eld
@@ -0,0 +1,48 @@
+;; -*- mode: lisp-data; -*-
+((nick 10 "NICK tester"))
+((user 5 "USER tester 0 * :tester")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net NOTICE * :*** Looking up your hostname...")
+ (0.04 ":irc.foonet.net NOTICE tester :*** Could not resolve your hostname: Domain not found; using your IP address (10.0.2.100) instead.")
+ (0.06 ":irc.foonet.net 001 tester :Welcome to the FooNet IRC Network [email-masked]")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 002 tester :Your host is irc.foonet.net, running version InspIRCd-3")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 003 tester :This server was created 08:32:24 Dec 05 2022")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 004 tester irc.foonet.net InspIRCd-3 BIRcgikorsw ACHIKMORTXabcefghijklmnopqrstvz :HIXabefghjkloqv")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 005 tester ACCEPT=30 AWAYLEN=200 BOT=B CALLERID=g CASEMAPPING=ascii CHANLIMIT=#:20 CHANMODES=IXbeg,k,Hfjl,ACKMORTcimnprstz CHANNELLEN=64 CHANTYPES=# ELIST=CMNTU ESILENCE=CcdiNnPpTtx EXCEPTS=e :are supported by this server")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 005 tester EXTBAN=,ACORTUacjrwz HOSTLEN=64 INVEX=I KEYLEN=32 KICKLEN=255 LINELEN=512 MAXLIST=I:100,X:100,b:100,e:100,g:100 MAXTARGETS=20 MODES=20 MONITOR=30 NAMELEN=128 NAMESX NETWORK=FooNet :are supported by this server")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 005 tester NICKLEN=30 PREFIX=(qaohv)~&@%+ SAFELIST SILENCE=32 STATUSMSG=~&@%+ TOPICLEN=307 UHNAMES USERIP USERLEN=10 USERMODES=,,s,BIRcgikorw WHOX :are supported by this server")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 251 tester :There are 2 users and 0 invisible on 2 servers")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 253 tester 1 :unknown connections")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 254 tester 1 :channels formed")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 255 tester :I have 2 clients and 1 servers")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 265 tester :Current local users: 2  Max: 3")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 266 tester :Current global users: 2  Max: 3")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 375 tester :irc.foonet.net message of the day")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 372 tester :Have fun!")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 376 tester :End of message of the day."))
+
+((mode-a 10 "MODE tester +i")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 501 tester x :is not a recognised user mode.")
+ (0.04 ":[email-masked] MODE tester :+i")
+ (0.00 ":[email-masked] NOTICE tester :This nickname is registered. Please choose a different nickname, or identify via \2/msg NickServ identify <password>\2."))
+
+((~privmsg 10 "PRIVMSG NickServ :IDENTIFY changeme")
+ (0.00 ":[email-masked] NOTICE tester :You are now identified for \2tester\2.")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 900 tester [email-masked] tester :You are now logged in as tester"))
+
+((~join 10 "JOIN #chan")
+ (0.00 ":[email-masked] JOIN :#chan")
+ (0.04 ":irc.foonet.net 353 tester = #chan :@alice bob tester")
+ (0.00 ":irc.foonet.net 366 tester #chan :End of /NAMES list."))
+
+((mode-b 10 "MODE #chan")
+ (0.03 ":irc.foonet.net 324 tester #chan :+nt")
+ (0.01 ":irc.foonet.net 329 tester #chan :1670229160")
+ (0.00 ":alice!alice@0::1 PRIVMSG #chan :tester, welcome!")
+ (0.00 ":bob!bob@0::1 PRIVMSG #chan :tester, welcome!")
+ (0.05 ":alice!alice@0::1 PRIVMSG #chan :bob: Thou art the cap of all the fools alive.")
+ (0.06 ":bob!bob@0::1 PRIVMSG #chan :alice: What, man! 'tis a night of revels; the gallants desire it."))
+
+((quit 10 "QUIT :\2ERC\2")
+ (0.1 ":[email-masked] QUIT :Client Quit"))
+
+((drop 1 DROP))
-- 
2.38.1