Subject: Re: bug#5983: 23.1.96; compilation-next-error broken

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:06:14 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:45:02 -0400 stephe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> s> Now go to the next error: C-x `. Point should be on the line that prints
> s> "missing paren", but it is on the previous line (the current line 5).
>
> s> The problem seems to be in compilation-next-error. It has a mechanism
> s> that sets markers based on the line/column info in the error messages,
> s> assuming the file has not changed. It puts file mod timestamps in the
> s> compilation error structure to record that this has been done, so it
> s> doesn't get done again (after the buffer has changed). However, it
> s> doesn't set the timestamp in every line, and when it gets to a line
> s> without a timestamp, it processes the marker info again, which is wrong.
>
> I thought this was fixed with bug#5620.

Aha, looks like this was checked into the trunk only.  However, the fix
to Bug#5620 is quite drastic, and not suitable for the emacs-23 branch.

So, I have reverted the 2009-10-12 change to
compilation-next-error-function in the branch.  From my understanding,
the problem that this change was supposed to fix is relatively minor,
whereas the subsequent problem that it causes is quite serious.