Subject: Re: [bug#59829] [PATCH core-updates] gnu: wlroots: Add propagated input xcb-util-renderutil

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 11:20:54 +0100

Hi,

On ven., 06 janv. 2023 at 23:13, Andy Tai <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi, I thought propagation inputs are for letting dependent packages to be
> able to automatically add this input to its dependency list, like, say,
> glib as a propagation input for gtk+ as all gtk+ [programs has glib as an
> input or dependency.  xcb-util-renderutil seems to have a similar role for
> wlroots.

The manual [1] reads for propagated-inputs:

        Lastly, propagated-inputs is similar to inputs, but the
        specified packages will be automatically installed to profiles
        (see the role of profiles in Guix) alongside the package they
        belong to (see guix package, for information on how guix package
        deals with propagated inputs).

        For example this is necessary when packaging a C/C++ library
        that needs headers of another library to compile, or when a
        pkg-config file refers to another one via its Requires field.

        Another example where propagated-inputs is useful is for
        languages that lack a facility to record the run-time search
        path akin to the RUNPATH of ELF files; this includes Guile,
        Python, Perl, and more. When packaging libraries written in
        those languages, ensure they can find library code they depend
        on at run time by listing run-time dependencies in
        propagated-inputs rather than inputs.

Other said, a dependency is added to the propagated-inputs list when
Guix is not able to automatically determine if the package references a
dependency from the inputs list.

My naive question is: is xcb-util-renderutil required by wlroots to
correctly run?

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#package_002dpropagated_002dinputs>

Cheers,
simon