Subject: Re: bug#59823: an installer dump was sent

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 16:36:03 +0100

Hello,

It's really good that you managed to install it anyway. Thanks for
persevering :) Nevertheless we need to fix the problem.

> I already managed the installation by burning the iso directly to my
> usb drive and not via Ventoy.

Turns out Ventoy was the crux of the issue here. Ventox allows to
install multiple iso images just by copying them in a directory of the
drive. It then creates a device mapping which look like that:

NAME       MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda          8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1       8:1    0   512M  0 part 
└─sda2       8:2    0   238G  0 part 
sdb          8:16   0  14.6G  0 disk 
├─sdb1       8:17   0  14.6G  0 part 
│ └─ventoy 253:0    0 842.9M  1 dm   
└─sdb2       8:18   0    32M  0 part 

This device mapping defeats our "eligible-devices" procedure. It's
because the UUID that is passed as the root=xxx argument of the Linux
command line is in fact related to /dev/dm-0 which is different from
/dev/sdb.

I had a look to the parted sources and it should detect mapped devices
but for some reason it doesn't. Figuring it out and fixing it is maybe a
bit risky before the release.

So I'm trying to figure out a (cheap) way to make the correlation
between /dev/dm-0 and /dev/sdb to exclude the latter in the eligible
devices procedure.

Any idea is welcomed!

Thanks,

Mathieu