Subject: Re: [bug#59822] [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 23:53:40 +0100

Hello!

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 14:40, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> The front page <https://guix.gnu.org/> contains the explicit version
>>> number with the button «Download v1.3.0».  Why not, just remove this
>>> version label and just have the button «Download»?
>>
>> Because people would be downloading the snapshot of the day, for which
>> we haven’t done as much testing as during a regular release process.
>
> I do not see why just the button «Download» instead of the button
> «Download v1.4.0» would lead to people downloading something else than
> the link, i.e., the webpage named <https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/>.

Oh sorry, I had totally misunderstood.  :-)

No strong opinion about whether or not to keep “v1.4.0” on the button.
It nobody objects, we can apply those patches.

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Making latest more discoverable would be unlikely to make it used
> exactly by the select few in need of its features.
>
> Probably we better remove latest from the top menu?
>
> I wouldn’t want newcomers to go for latest because hey, it’s displayed
> prominently and newer.  The installation routine for the latest
> installer image also may break.  Or after installation, some software is
> broken.  Which would mean the initial install is broken, and no
> roll-back is available.

Yes, I agree.  But then, where would you put the link to /latest?

Or maybe we can keep it in the menu but add a prominent warning on the
page stating that these are snapshots that haven’t seen as much QA?

Ludo’.