Subject: Re: bug#59822: [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:40:50 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The front page <https://guix.gnu.org/> contains the explicit version
> number with the button «Download v1.3.0».  Why not, just remove this
> version label and just have the button «Download»?

Because people would be downloading the snapshot of the day, for which
we haven’t done as much testing as during a regular release process.

The release process is not just ceremonial; over the last couple of
months, we’ve put a lot of effort actually fixing things, in particular
in the installer.  Releases make sense IMO.

[...]

> In addition to Ludo, who has the power to upload (and sign) the images
> to <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/>?

The process to be authorized to upload files to ftp.gnu.org and
alpha.gnu.org is described in the GNU Maintainers Guide (info
"(maintain) Automated FTP Uploads").  Maintainers can ask GNU sysadmins
to add specific people to the list of authorized uploaders.

Currently, I believe Ricardo, Maxim, Mathieu, and myself are authorized.
We’ll make sure the next release team is authorized too!

Ludo’.