Subject: Re: [bug#59822] [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 19:10:33 +0100

Hi Florian, all,

On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 at 17:44, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> CI images are for developers and testers.  The standard installer did
> not get bug fixes in the 1.3.0 period, but it can and should.  It is
> possible to put up a new installer without a new Guix release.

I do not want to bother more but this paragraph suggests an other
direction. :-)

The front page <https://guix.gnu.org/> contains the explicit version
number with the button «Download v1.3.0».  Why not, just remove this
version label and just have the button «Download»?

This button «Download» leads to «https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/».
Here, we could do the same as we do for the package guix, for instance
use the version label 1.3.0-8.abc123 for some images.

However, it means that we need to update <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/>
each time the recommended standard installer or other receives important
fixes.  It does not happen that much often. :-)

Well, I mean being able to update independently some images of «GNU Guix
binary» and «GNU Guix System» without going to the big dance of a
complete release.

Obviously, we could have more frequent releases; which would fix most of
the issue. :-) But, we do not have.  Somehow being able to update the
standard downloadable installer without creating a new release appears
to me a good solution.

In addition to Ludo, who has the power to upload (and sign) the images
to <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/>?

Cheers,
simon