Subject: Re: [bug#59822] [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 18:06:15 +0100

Hi all.

My reluctance is because there isn’t an advantage to using the latest image.

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:
> this sentence could be added,
>
> These images are well-tested released images, and since Guix follows
> rolling release model, you might prefer to use [latest images](https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/latest/)

This is not a reason.  On the contrary, users of 1.3.0 will get the
current software once they upgrade.

I can think of one consequence of using the 1.3.0 image: Users might
have to adapt the generated config.scm once they pull and reconfigure.
For example, because of changes in the swap-space definition.  But this
isn’t really a downside, since the OS configuration is the reason to use
Guix on Guix System instead of a foreign distro.

There maybe is hardware that is not yet supported on standard installer
images.  But it doesn’t need to be mentioned.  There are no cutting edge
hardware users on a libre distro, are there?  Except those using tainted
versions of the installer, not offered here.

Lastly, I’m reluctant to change existing sentences, because they will
not be translated soon enough.

Am I mistaken?

Regards,
Florian