Subject: Re: [bug#59822] [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 10:00:06 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 05 Dec 2022 at 09:00, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So maybe better not lead users to the untested version.
>
> Agreed?  Can I close the bug without applying the patch?

Well, maybe the « latest » could be more discoverable.  For instance,
when an user is here:

https://guix.gnu.org/

then they click to the button « DOWNLOAD v1.3.0 ».  Moreover nothing
mention upfront the latest version.  The user has to click on top right
Download and select «Latest» – probably not done when they have already
seen the button.  I agree that another «Download latest» on the
frontpage could be confusing.

Instead, I propose, on the webpage,

https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/

and in the header,

        As of version 1.3.0, the standalone Guix System can be installed
        on an i686, x86_64, ARMv7, or AArch64 machine. It uses the
        Linux-Libre kernel and the GNU Shepherd init
        system. Alternately, GNU Guix can be installed as an additional
        package manager on top of an installed Linux-based system.

this sentence could be added,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
These images are well-tested released images, and since Guix follows
rolling release model, you might prefer to use [latest images](https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/latest/)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon