Subject: [bug#59822] [PATCH guix-artwork] website: base: home: Add 'DOWNLOAD LATEST' button.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:56:35 +0100

Hi Simon,

Our vision differs in

1) the downloads page mentioning latest and

2) the top menu mentioning latest.

About 1), although I agree adding your text to the downloads page is an
improvement for discoverability, I don’t like that your patch gives
people the impression they get any advantage from experimental builds.

*A disagreement.*

About 2), the top menu.

Consider a user who reads little but wants to try Guix.  And that user
does not read the main part of the homepage but follows the top menu.
Such people exist, I guess, and are important.  I claim that

a) the distinction between standard and latest falsely suggests that
   latest is more current, more up-to-date, more appealing.

   *We are in disagreement about if the distinction is clear.*

b) And I claim that in contrast to the past situation when the
   distinction was necessary, now that we have 1.4.0 and its more
   debuggable installer image, there will be no purpose in advertising
   latest anymore, that is, no advertisement of ci.guix.gnu.org images
   is needed.

   *This b) is the same disagreement as in 1).*

IMHO we should hide the latest category in the top menu and make two new
categories.

One Hurd category could cater to users with hardware that can run Hurd,
who like Hurd’s features and who don’t like that Linux-libre is
monolithic and has bad GPLv2 licensing.  But as of now, unlike Debian,
Guix’s Hurd only runs on QEMU?

One ARM category could offer, well, I don’t exactly know, is the
Pinebook Pro image an upgradeable Guix System or a transient image?

These offerings are not polished.

I will not take the time to think
about a patch removing latest now though.

Regards,
Florian