Subject: bug#59820: [PATCH] * nadvice/nadvice.el: support non-symbol (closure/lambda) advices (old Emacs)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 08:50:27 -0500

> This patch provides the ELPA version (for Emacs < 24.4) of nadvice.el's
> advice-add the ability to handle anonymous advices.
[...]
> +(defun advice--ensure-symbol (func)
> +  (if (symbolp func)
> +      func
> +    (let* ((sym (intern (format "%S" func))))
> +      (unless (fboundp sym)
> +        (defalias sym func))
> +      sym)))

I'm not a big fan of this approach, and I usually recommend to use named
functions for advice anyway (avoids all kinds of problems like the
`advice-remove` failing to remove, or the equality test taking too much
time, ...).

IOW I'd rather align the "real nadvice.el" with the one in GNU ELPA than
the other way around in this respect.

        Stefan