Subject: bug#59810: [PATCH] Fix rcirc-markup-text-functions applying to the whole message

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 01:00:19 +0100

Since `rcirc-markup-text-functions' is meant to apply only to the text,
the changed code, which applied it to the entirety of the message was
bugged.  The simplest example is `\me NICK' with `rcirc-color', where
NICK is supposed to be colored but isn't because the message reads
`[... NICK]' and the `]' is recognized as a part of the nick.

The patch should fix the issue, although it is possible that some
already existing functions put to `rcirc-markup-text-functions' will
break due to them expecting the previous behavior.  I still propose the
patch is applied as the issue is a bug on those functions' end and not
rcirc.

>From ae0334e422f84941218acdd0a953b6f1f2d34fac Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 00:42:37 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix `rcirc-markup-text-functions' applying to the whole
 message

* lisp/net/rcirc.el (rcirc-print): Apply `rcirc-markup-text-functions'
only to the text part of the message.
---
 lisp/net/rcirc.el | 9 +++++++--
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/net/rcirc.el b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
index 1fdf41a35ee..96109dcd5c9 100644
--- a/lisp/net/rcirc.el
+++ b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
@@ -2080,8 +2080,13 @@ rcirc-print
                              (point)))
               (when (rcirc-buffer-process)
                 (save-excursion (rcirc-markup-timestamp sender response))
-                (dolist (fn rcirc-markup-text-functions)
-                  (save-excursion (funcall fn sender response)))
+                (save-restriction
+                  (when-let ((prop-match (text-property-search-forward 'rcirc-text)))
+                    (goto-char (prop-match-beginning prop-match))
+                    (narrow-to-region (prop-match-beginning prop-match)
+                                      (prop-match-end prop-match))
+                    (dolist (fn rcirc-markup-text-functions)
+                      (save-excursion (funcall fn sender response)))))
                 (when rcirc-fill-flag
                   (save-excursion (rcirc-markup-fill sender response))))
 
-- 
2.37.4