Subject: bug#598 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.60; frame size issue (--geometry or default-frame-alist) when using customized default face)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#598: 23.0.60; frame size issue (--geometry or default-frame-alist) when using customized default face

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
598: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=598
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Mon Oct  6 09:25:39 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; frame size issue (--geometry or default-frame-alist) when using customized default face
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:27:07 -0400

I've checked in a fix that should solve this problem.

>From [email-masked] Wed Jul 23 01:18:19 2008
From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0.60; frame size issue (--geometry or default-frame-alist) when using customized default face
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:18:02 +0200

For a few weeks now (starting around the time of the fix for #47, which
may or may not be relevant), emacs no longer comes up with the correct
frame size.
I have it set (to 132x60) in default-frame-alist, but emacs end up with
varying frame sizes instead - while there seem to be a few that it
favors, I can't see any real pattern in it.
The same happens if I remove the width/height settings from
default-frame-alist and use --geometry instead.
"emacs -Q --geometry 132x60" does seem to work 100% of the time.

I tried erasing the font/foundry customization, but that made no
difference; changing the font height, however, did. Emacs seems to
default to a height of 116 while I have mine set to 135 (since with the
font I prefer to use (Terminus), 116 is too small to read comfortably).

So it looks like the frame size is being computed based on the wrong
font sizing.

A few things I noticed while testing this:
- customizing the size of the default font causes emacs to repain its
  frame, and quite often this messes up the scrollbars (which I have
  set to appear on the right). Sometimes there is a black border to
  their right, sometimes they disappear. In either case, manually
  sizing the frame makes them redraw in their correct place.
- after saving the default face with the font and foundry items
  unchecked (i.e. uncustomized), and restarting emacs, it shows the
  font and foundry as customized (using Bitstream Vera Sans Mono)
- the 'foundry' setting was also added fairly recently; how do I find
  out a font's foundry so that I can set it correctly when customizing
  a face? Is there perhaps a font picker available in emacs that would
  allow me to customize a face more effectively?