Subject: bug#59793: 29.0.60; subr.elc is not compiled correctly

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 00:52:49 +0600

miha--- via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Akib Azmain Turja via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife
> of text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Both source and compiled Emacs Lisp code should show the same behavior,
>> except performance.  But 'subr.el' and 'subr.elc' show different
>> behaviors.  Isn't this a byte-compiler bug?
>
> In Emacs 29.0.50, I checked M-x disassemble RET insert-for-yank-1 RET
> and it looks like it uses an 'insert' bytcode operation instead of
> funcalling the 'insert' function. I think this is what prevents
> overriding of 'insert' from working on byte-compiled code, as explained
> in '(elisp) Advice and Byte Code'.

That might be the reason on some Emacs.  But I have observed that
'insert-for-yank' isn't overridden at all with Feng's 'subr.elc' on my
Emacs.  'insert-for-yank' doesn't have any opcode, does it?

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: [email-masked]
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."