Subject: bug#59790: 30.0.50; ns-use-native-fullscreen is not respected for first use of initial-frame-alist

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 17:12:56 -0800

On Wed, Nov 20, 2024 at 1:27 PM, Alan Third <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2024 at 12:00:07AM -0500, Aaron Jensen wrote:
>
> ​The bugged behavior is that `ns-use-native-fullscreen' set to nil is not
> read when launching emacs.
>
> The attached patch should fix this. The problem is that when the frame is
> made, the current value of ns-use-native-fullscreen is copied to a variable
> and that's only reset when the frame goes from fullscreen to windowed. I
> believe the original intent was to ensure that the mode could not change
> while the window was fullscreen already.
>
> This resets the value of fs_is_native if the frame is not already
> fullscreen, which allows it to respect the value at the time of the first
> fullscreen.
>
> Without this, the only way to get the behavior that Sean is expecting is
> to set ns-use-native-fullscreen in early-init, which should not be
> necessary.
>
> The patch looks good here. The only thing is I get this printed to the
> console:
>
> 2024-11-20 21:11:36.609 emacs[18867:241457] ERROR: Can't have a toolbar in
> a window with <NSNextStepFrame: 0x7f8db350c7e0> as it's borderview
>
> I don't think I've ever seen NextStep explicitly mentioned in macOS code
> before, other than the "NS" prefix.
>
> I'm going to hazard a guess that the first if at the top of createToolbar
> needs another test for when we're in non-native fullscreen or something.
>
> Native fullscreen displays the toolbar, non-native doesn't because it uses
> the borderless stylemask. Perhaps a check on the stylemask would be enough
> to cover both this and undecorated.
>

I tried this in createToolbar and I still get the error. I don't know if
the styleMask isn't set yet or if it's somehow using the toolbar from the
previous window? Seems odd. I haven't played with it too much, but I just
wanted to let you know that this didn't appear to work in case you were
planning on taking a look at some point.

if ([[view window] styleMask] & NSWindowStyleMaskBorderless)
  return;

Thanks,

Aaron