Subject: Re: bug#59786: Allowing arbitrary expressions in cl-labels

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:11:54 -0700

Hello,

On Fri 02 Dec 2022 at 02:44PM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> After I introduced this in `cl-flet` it was pointed out that it was an
> incompatible change since BODY... can be the empty list.  Another option
> is to use a syntax like:
>
>     (FUNC = EXP)           the new new syntax
>
> which should not suffer from such incompatibility since ARGS should
> never be of the form `=`.

I'm usually in support adding new capabilities to existing macros, but
in this case, the cost of using an equals sign is rather high.
How about just defining a new macro fletrec that works this way, like
letrec but for function cells?  That would seem like it would address
your usecase.

-- 
Sean Whitton