Subject: bug#59778: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix boxed menu bar in non-toolkit X builds

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:03:57 +0100

Hi,

This patch make the right end shadow of a boxed menu bar appear
correctly.  It is essentially a copy/paste of what is done for the
modeline.  I also remove it.[first|last]_visible_x settings because
init_iterator does this job already for non DEFAULT_FACE_ID.

>From 8049623748483343aff392345f17f0b66368a57d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:49:39 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Make a boxed menu bar have a shadow at its right end

* src/xdisp.c (display_menu_bar) [HAVE_X_WINDOWS]: Make a boxed
menu bar have a shadow at its right end in non-toolkit X builds.
---
 src/xdisp.c | 26 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 24 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/xdisp.c b/src/xdisp.c
index e4e52fe901..da43af3bd8 100644
--- a/src/xdisp.c
+++ b/src/xdisp.c
@@ -26312,6 +26312,7 @@ display_menu_bar (struct window *w)
   it.last_visible_x = FRAME_PIXEL_WIDTH (f);
 #elif defined (HAVE_X_WINDOWS) /* X without toolkit.  */
   struct window *menu_w;
+  struct face *face = FACE_FROM_ID (f, MENU_FACE_ID);
   if (FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))
     {
       /* Menu bar lines are displayed in the desired matrix of the
@@ -26319,8 +26320,6 @@ display_menu_bar (struct window *w)
       menu_w = XWINDOW (f->menu_bar_window);
       init_iterator (&it, menu_w, -1, -1, menu_w->desired_matrix->rows,
 		     MENU_FACE_ID);
-      it.first_visible_x = 0;
-      it.last_visible_x = FRAME_PIXEL_WIDTH (f);
     }
   else
 #endif /* not USE_X_TOOLKIT and not USE_GTK */
@@ -26374,8 +26373,31 @@ display_menu_bar (struct window *w)
 
   /* Compute the total height of the lines.  */
   compute_line_metrics (&it);
+  it.glyph_row->full_width_p = true;
+  it.glyph_row->continued_p = false;
+  it.glyph_row->truncated_on_left_p = false;
+  it.glyph_row->truncated_on_right_p = false;
 
 #if defined (HAVE_X_WINDOWS) && !defined (USE_X_TOOLKIT) && !defined (USE_GTK)
+  /* Make a 3D menu bar have a shadow at its right end.  */
+  extend_face_to_end_of_line (&it);
+  if (face->box != FACE_NO_BOX)
+    {
+      struct glyph *last = (it.glyph_row->glyphs[TEXT_AREA]
+			    + it.glyph_row->used[TEXT_AREA] - 1);
+      int box_thickness = face->box_vertical_line_width;
+      last->right_box_line_p = true;
+      /* Add back the space for the right box line we subtracted in
+	 init_iterator, since the right_box_line_p flag will make the
+	 glyph wider.  We actually add only as much space as is
+	 available for the last glyph of the menu bar and whatever
+	 space is left beyond it, since that glyph could be only
+	 partially visible.  */
+      if (box_thickness > 0)
+	last->pixel_width += max (0, (box_thickness
+				      - (it.current_x - it.last_visible_x)));
+    }
+
   /* With the non-toolkit version, modify the menu bar window height
      accordingly.  */
   if (FRAME_WINDOW_P (it.f))
-- 
2.38.1

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.2, cairo version
 1.17.6) of 2022-12-02 built on computer
Repository revision: 7d6f9753ade57821f5c409bcdeea700be8e53a74
Repository branch: mgi/menubar
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.2 GENERIC.MP#859 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug shr-color sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache
url-auth qp utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nsm
nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache nnrss mm-url w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif w3m-hist
w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc
w3m-util executable ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs goto-addr pulse
vc-git vc-dispatcher vc-svn bug-reference magit-extras face-remap
magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit
log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section dash compat-27
compat-26 compat compat-macs paredit edmacro time battery exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm-config exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage
exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core
xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server
stimmung-themes modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ytdious osm mingus
libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission diary-lib
diary-loaddefs color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
w3m-load mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config bookmark ido supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus nnselect
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb inline mailabbrev eieio-opt
cl-extra help-mode speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone org
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version
org-compat org-macs visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table
erlang-start smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep
slime-tramp tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit
cus-load wid-edit files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime compile text-property-search etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads
dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs so-long notifications dbus xml
repeat easy-mmode rust-mode-autoloads stimmung-themes-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads paredit-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
ytdious-autoloads transmission-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads magit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
finder-inf dash-autoloads compat-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 968008 617331)
 (symbols 48 61983 14)
 (strings 32 284990 7154)
 (string-bytes 1 10292401)
 (vectors 16 181717)
 (vector-slots 8 3001786 60548)
 (floats 8 630 399)
 (intervals 56 7299 1726)
 (buffers 992 33))

-- 
Manuel Giraud