Subject: bug#5977: 24.0.50; Lao HELLO is incorrectly displayed

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:28:11 +0200

Am 20.04.2010 um 11:06 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> The Lao greetings are incorrectly rendered:
>
> Does the problem go away if you type
>
>    M-: (setq bidi-display-reordering nil) RET

YES! Many displayed strings change their shape afterwards.

>
> ?
>
>> When I go forward or backward with the cursor keys in the greetings
>> (also in the header) the direction of cursor movement is reversed at
>> two or three spots.
>
> I don't see cursor movement reversal on MS-Windows.  Can you tell what
> characters are those where it happens, e.g., by counting the number of
> C-f keystrokes from the beginning of the line?

When I start at the default minor-mode at the left-most character, the  
strings first change their look. First <right> position point on the  
third character. When I now invoke C-u C-x = on this character point  
goes left to the second character. Next <right> changes again the  
shape of the strings. Next <right> warps point to fifth character,  
next <right> back to fourth, next <right> to seventh, then comes  
<SPACE>, then warp to /, <SPACE>, first character of second string.  
Next <right> positions point on second character and one more <right>  
leaps to possibly fourth one, then fifth (neighbour), then jump to  
possibly seventh, eighth, last ninth, before it falls down on next  
line right of the small depressed Ω like character (see my screenshot).

With bidi-display-reordering set to nil no change in direction of  
movement happens. (Cursor also stops at final C-j of line. Next  
<right> does the line-feed and carriage-return.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error – but fruit flies like a banana!
				- (almost) Groucho Marx