Subject: Re: bug#5976: 23.1.93; yanking shell commands - converted to single lines

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:43:36 +0300

>> Doing this in bash, I get the same result because it saves multi-line
>> commands on separate lines in ~/.bash_history and reads each line as
>> a separate command.  Why should Emacs be different in this regard?
>
> I could have sworn that aquamacs 1.9 preserved multi-line shell commands
> across shell sessions, but perhaps I'm mistaken. It certainly  does
> preserve multi-line shell commands within a single shell session.

Bash preserves multi-line shell commands within a single shell session too
when its shopt option `cmdhist' is set.

There is also the option `lithist' that replaces newlines with semicolon
separators.  But it doesn't help because it doesn't replace newlines
inside command line arguments.

So I see no way to save multi-line shell commands in ~/.bash_history
in a way compatible with Bash.  Do you have any ideas?

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/