Subject: Re: Base patch for bug #5975 (bookmarking from Gnus Article buffer).

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:33:34 -0400

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I'm not sure where to apply this.
>
>Do you think it (for any value of "it") is safe for Emacs 23.3?
>Is it very unlikely to introduce a regression with respect to Emacs 23.2?
>
>If so, apply "it" only to the emacs-23 branch. It will get merged to
>the trunk at some point.
>
>If not, or if you aren't sure, or think it needs more testing, apply
>"it" to the trunk.

My goal is to get stuff into whatever line of Emacs will be a permanent
part of all future major release lines (not necessarily including minor
or "point" releases along an already-released line).  Usually trunk
serves this purpose, and my assumption had been that trunk is always a
safe place for a change (where as X.Y branch *might* be a safe place).

But I admit, I'm not really sure how we do this.  Is there policy
documentation somewhere on it?  I looked on the project pages and in the
tree and didn't see anything obvious.  (etc/CONTRIBUTE isn't quite it.)

>Also, note that rather than saying "patch by X", you should make the
>ChangeLog entry in X's name.

Thanks for the reminder!  I can fix the ChangeLogs to be that way.  (It
should be both of us, really; I've seen that style before.)

-Karl