Subject: bug#59746: closed (Re: bug#59746: [DOCUMENTATION] [PATCH] doc: Introduce using Swap Space for hibernation, with an example.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 22:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59746: [DOCUMENTATION] [PATCH] doc: Introduce using Swap Space for hibernation, with an example.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59746: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59746
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59746: [DOCUMENTATION] [PATCH] doc: Introduce using Swap Space for hibernation, with an example.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 23:01:07 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This patch replaces the previous one and enhances it with several minor fixes
> and the missing information related to computing the swap file offset, as
> discussed [in the guix-devel thread][1].
>
> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-12/msg00028.html
>
> Thanks and cheers!
>
> -- 
> Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/
>
> From e95d79ef8c466e495c730f722b7aefc4d2d5969f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:08:48 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] doc: Introduce using swap space for hibernation, with
>  examples.
>
> * doc/guix.texi (Swap Space): Add a concise introduction to hibernation and
> specifying a swap space to the kernel to make resume work.  Mention space
> requirements and the need of an offset for swap files.  Include a trivial
> example on how to set up a mapped swap volume for hibernation and another one
> for a swap file, including how to compute the file offset.

Very nice!  Applied with the tweaks below.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 9a74ae64d6..293c3016aa 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -17109,14 +17109,18 @@ should consider ease of use when deciding between them.  Partitions are
 allocated at disk formatting time (logical volumes notwithstanding),
 whereas files can be allocated and deallocated at any time.
 
-A swap space is also required in order to hibernate a system using the
-Linux kernel.  Hibernation (also called suspend to disk) uses at most
-half the size of the RAM in the configured swap space.  The kernel needs
-to know about the swap space to be used to resume from hibernation on
-boot (via a kernel argument).  When using a swap file, its offset in the
-device holding it also needs to be given to the kernel, but that value
-has to be updated if the file is initialized again as swap (e.g. because
-its size was changed).
+@cindex hibernation
+@cindex suspend to disk
+Swap space is also required to put the system into @dfn{hibernation}
+(also called @dfn{suspend to disk}), whereby memory is dumped to swap
+before shutdown so it can be restored when the machine is eventually
+restarted.  Hibernation uses at most half the size of the RAM in the
+configured swap space.  The Linux kernel needs to know about the swap
+space to be used to resume from hibernation on boot (@i{via} a kernel
+argument).  When using a swap file, its offset in the device holding it
+also needs to be given to the kernel; that value has to be updated if
+the file is initialized again as swap---e.g., because its size was
+changed.
 
 Note that swap space is not zeroed on shutdown, so sensitive data (such
 as passwords) may linger on it if it was paged out.  As such, you should
@@ -17215,7 +17219,7 @@ select the file system in an elegant fashion!
          %default-kernel-arguments))
 @end lisp
 
-The previous snippet of an @code{operating-system} declaration enables
+The above snippet of an @code{operating-system} declaration enables
 the mapped device @file{/dev/mapper/my-swap} (which may be part of an
 encrypted device) as swap space, and tells the kernel to use it for
 hibernation via the @code{resume} kernel argument

Subject: [DOCUMENTATION] [PATCH] doc: Introduce using Swap Space for hibernation, with an example.
From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 18:17:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* doc/guix.texi (Swap Space): Add a concise introduction to hibernation and
specifying a swap space to the kernel to make resume work.  Mention space
requirements and the need of an offset for swap files (missing info on how to
obtain it, but at least hint on the needed kernel argument).  Include a
trivial example on how to set up swap space for hibernation.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 26 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 26 insertions(+)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 47b805dc7f..76441fd4db 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -109,6 +109,7 @@
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Simon Streit@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 (@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 John Kehayias@*
+Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer@*
 
 Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
 under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
@@ -17072,6 +17073,14 @@ Swap Space
 allocated at disk formatting time (logical volumes notwithstanding),
 whereas files can be allocated and deallocated at any time.
 
+Also, a swap space is required in order to hibernate (suspend to disk) a
+system using the Linux kernel.  The kernel needs to know about the swap
+space to be used to resume from hibernation on boot (via a kernel
+argument).  When using a swap file, its offset in the device holding it
+also needs to be given to the kernel, but that value has to be updated
+if the file is recreated.  Hibernation uses at most half the size of the
+RAM in the configured swap space.
+
 Note that swap space is not zeroed on shutdown, so sensitive data (such
 as passwords) may linger on it if it was paged out.  As such, you should
 consider having your swap reside on an encrypted device (@pxref{Mapped
@@ -17157,6 +17166,23 @@ Swap Space
 file system mounted at @file{/btrfs}.  Note how we use Guile's filter to
 select the file system in an elegant fashion!
 
+@lisp
+(swap-devices
+  (list (swap-space
+          (target "/dev/mapper/my-swap")
+          (dependencies mapped-devices))))
+
+(kernel-arguments
+  (cons* "resume=/dev/mapper/my-swap"
+         %default-kernel-arguments))
+@end lisp
+
+Use the mapped device @file{/dev/mapper/my-swap} as swap space, and tell
+the kernel to use it for hibernation via the @code{resume} kernel
+argument (@pxref{operating-system Reference}, @code{kernel-arguments}).
+If a swap file was used, the @code{resume_offset} argument would also be
+needed.
+
 @node User Accounts
 @section User Accounts

base-commit: 5e03354ef535ab1e548f444ac0af0b645a4081de
-- 
2.38.1

-- 
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/