Subject: Re: bug#5974: 23.1.95; enabling disabled cmd & saving doesn't respect `custom-file'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:53:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> That is wrong. I have a separate `custom-file' specifically so that
>> customization does not mess with my init file.
>
> The reason for it is that enabling disabling such commands is not done
> via Custom (and indeed, I don't think you can do it from Custom
> currently).
>
> But I guess it would make sense to extend the meaning of `custom-file'
> from "the things managed by Custom" to "any Emacs-generated config code".
> This said, the easiest way to get this result is to make
> `enable-command' use Custom somehow.

That's the code that puts

(put 'narrow-to-region 'disabled nil)

into our .emacs files, right?  Yes, it would be better if that was
handled by Custom.  But how?  Custom works by setting (variable) values,
not adjusting symbol properties...

Hm...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no