Subject: bug#59730: gdb-mi.el: Local variables reordering

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 19:50:44 +0200

> From: Gustaf Waldemarson <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 15:26:22 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> There I also noticed that that the `gdb-locals-value-limit'
> has become redundant with this change. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out how
> to mark that defcustom as deprecated, is there some kind of macro that should be done
> for that, or should I just remove it?

I don't like making backwards-incompatible changes such as removing a
user option.  How about if the default value of
gdb-locals-table-row-config used the value of gdb-locals-value-limit
instead of a literal 100?

> +** Variable order and truncation can now be configured in gdb-many-window mode.
> +The new variable `gdb-locals-table-row-config' allows users to
> +configure the order and max length of various properties in the local
> +variables frame.
             ^^^^^
"frame or window", right?

> +By default, this variable is set to write the properties in the order:
> +name, type and value. Where name and type are truncated to 20
                       ^^
Our conventions are to use two spaces between sentences.

> +characters, and the value is truncated to 100.
> +
> +In order to restore the old display behavior, set
> +`gdb-locals-table-row-config' to '((type . 0)(name . 0)(value . 0)).

That value is incorrect, because the value was truncated at 100, due
to gdb-locals-value-limit, right?

> +Additionally, this behavior encompasses the actions of the old
> +`gdb-locals-value-limit' variable, which is no longer used and marked
> +deprecated.

I hope we won't need this paragraph.

Thanks.