Subject: Re: bug#5973: Crash in get_next_display_element

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:23:04 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:46:32 +0200
> Cc: David Reitter <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:26, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > If not, then I'm afraid we will need to wait for another instance of
> > this crash.
> 
> I get a similar crash on Windows (trace attached).

Why do you think it is similar?  It crashes in a different place, and
if in David's case there was a hypothesis that FACE_FROM_ID returned a
null pointer, in your case I see that all face arguments are non-NULL.

What am I missing?

Btw, David's crash was in Emacs 23.1.95, so I'm pretty sure the bidi
merge has nothing to do with it.  Yours is with the trunk version,
right?

> I can reproduce it reliably, but it depends on something in my .emacs,
> so I cannot give a recipe right now.

Please do try to give a reproducible recipe.

Btw, what were you doing when it crashed?  The backtrace seems to tell
that Emacs was displaying a message in the echo area (during an Edebug
session?), and that there were characters in the message area that used
compositions, is that right?  If so, what was the text of the message?

If the crash happens even with normal ASCII characters in the echo
area, I'd prefer to see a backtrace of that variant.

Thanks.