Subject: bug#59714: closed (Re: bug#59714: 30.0.50; (void-function cl-letf))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 07:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59714: 30.0.50; (void-function cl-letf)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59714: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59714
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59714: 30.0.50; (void-function cl-letf)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 09:32:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 06:26:50 +0100
> From:  Manuel Uberti via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Thanks everyone for the clarification. I see no problem requiring `cl-lib'.
> 
> This ticket can be closed.

Thanks, done.

Subject: 30.0.50; (void-function cl-letf)
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 07:45:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

this is the problem:

- emacs -Q
- Evaluate: (cl-letf (((default-value 'process-environment) nil)))
- You see the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function cl-letf)
   (cl-letf (((default-value 'process-environment) nil)))
   (progn (cl-letf (((default-value 'process-environment) nil))))
   eval((progn (cl-letf (((default-value 'process-environment) nil)))) t)
   elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
   eval-last-sexp(nil)
   funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
   call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
   command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

- Evaluate again: (cl-letf (((default-value 'process-environment) nil)))

The error is not shown any more.

For reference, I discovered this while using buffer-env:
https://github.com/astoff/buffer-env/issues/15.

Augusto Stoffel provided the small recipe, I was seeing the message 
"‘((default-value 'process-environment) process-environment)’ is a 
malformed function" as I wrote in the above mentioned ticket.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-29 built on baruch
Repository revision: 7939184f8e0370e7a3397d492812c6d202c2a193
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns
radix-tree cl-print byte-opt debug backtrace find-func cl-loaddefs comp
comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 91808 7241)
  (symbols 48 7534 0)
  (strings 32 25267 3098)
  (string-bytes 1 792684)
  (vectors 16 19382)
  (vector-slots 8 302629 15510)
  (floats 8 46 24)
  (intervals 56 404 0)
  (buffers 984 12))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
https://manueluberti.eu