Subject: [bug#59712] [PATCH] doc: Suggest guile-readline and guile-colorized.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 09:37:36 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 02:23, [email-masked] wrote:

> +guix shell -D guix help2man git strace guile-readline guile-colorized --pure

The package guile-readline requires to be activated, no?
For guile-colorized, never used. :-)

On one hand, I agree that smoothing the experience with “guix repl” is
worth.  On the other hand, I think it better to reduce the barrier by
suggesting out-of-the-box packages in the Contributing section.

Well, instead, I am proposing to put this recommendation in this other
section (guix) The Perfect Setup.  For example, better worded :-)

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
The Perfect Setup to hack on Guix is basically the perfect setup used
for Guile hacking (*note (guile)Using Guile in Emacs::).  First, the
experience is smooth when the packages guile-readline and
guile-colorized are installed and configured.  We recommend this
~/.guile,

    (use-modules
     (ice-9 readline)
     (ice-9 format)
     (ice-9 pretty-print))
    (activate-readline)

Then, you need more than an editor, you need Emacs
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs), empowered by the wonderful Geiser
(https://nongnu.org/geiser/).  To set that up, run:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon