Subject: [bug#59683] [PATCH] gnu: Add bolt

From: phodina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:33:41 +0000

Hello Ludo’,

> > I've tried to simplify the service.
> > 
> > However, for some reason the client boltctl does not work. It is restarted under different PID and the service does not fail.
> 
> 
> Since it’s a D-Bus service, maybe we do not need to create a Shepherd
> service for boltd? In that case, it will be started on-demand by
> dbus-daemon, for instance the first time someone runs ‘boltctl’.
> 
> Is that acceptable or does it have to be started at boot time?

Not sure about that. I'll ask Christian Kellner (author of the project).
The issue is that user is able to define if the device is allowed to connect or not. And my assumption is that this is the knowledge of the daemon.
So it would have to be started by some udev event that sends dbus-event.
Or maybe the "IDs" of the devices are stored in the Thunderbolt controller (I'm not familar with the specs either) and it's done transparently.
 
> > 
> > $ ls /var/log/bolt*
> > ls: cannot access '/var/log/bolt*': No such file or directory
> 
> 
> Perhaps /var/log/messages has details?

Not sure the content of the '/var/log/messages' is useful:

Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service nix-daemon has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning bolt.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been started.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]: Service bolt has been disabled.
Dec 25 13:56:48 localhost shepherd[1]:   (Respawning too fast.)

----
Petr