Subject: bug#59676: closed (Re: bug#59676: 30.0.50; package-report-bug fails getting maintainer address)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59676: 30.0.50; package-report-bug fails getting maintainer address

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59676: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59676
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59676: 30.0.50; package-report-bug fails getting maintainer address
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:55:49 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Philip,
>
> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> 1. emacs -Q
>>> 2. M-x list-packages
>>> 3. Move point to over some package, e.g. Magit
>>> 4. M-x package-report-bug
>>> 5. See error:
>>>
>>> package-maintainers: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, ("Jonas
>>> Bernoulli" . "[email-masked]")
>>
>> Does the following fix it?
>>
>> diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
>> index 8d44fae30a..8e7c34da38 100644
>> --- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
>> +++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
>> @@ -4549,7 +4549,7 @@ package-maintainers
>>        (user-error "Package `%s' has no explicit maintainer" name))
>>       ((and (not (progn
>>                    (require 'ietf-drums)
>> -                  (ietf-drums-parse-address maint)))
>> +                  (ietf-drums-parse-address (cdr maint))))
>>             (null no-error))
>>        (user-error "Package `%s' has no maintainer address" name))
>>       ((not (null maint))
>
> Yes, that seems to work.  With this I now get a pre-populated Message
> mode buffer, as expected.

Ok, I have pushed a commit with these changes.  Thank for confirming the
fix, I'll be closing this report then.

>>> On another note, seems package-report-bug could also benefit from an
>>> autoload cookie, no?
>>
>> I think that would be a good idea, but I don't know if it is too late
>> now that Emacs 29 has been cut.
>
> I see, maybe it should only be added to the master branch then?  Anyway
> it's not very crucial (to me at least).

The thing I am confused about is that package.el ought to be autoloaded
itself, or am I mistaken in that assumption?

> Thanks,
> Eshel

Subject: 30.0.50; package-report-bug fails getting maintainer address
From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 08:23:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x list-packages
3. Move point to over some package, e.g. Magit
4. M-x package-report-bug
5. See error:

package-maintainers: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, ("Jonas Bernoulli" . "[email-masked]")

On another note, seems package-report-bug could also benefit from an
autoload cookie, no?

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin22.1.0, NS
 appkit-2299.00 Version 13.0 (Build 22A380)) of 2022-11-28 built on
 esmac.lan
Repository revision: 7939184f8e0370e7a3397d492812c6d202c2a193
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.0

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --enable-link-time-optimization
 --with-json --with-xwidgets --with-mailutils --with-imagemagick
 --without-dbus'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug misearch multi-isearch mm-archive
message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived gnus-util text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode package-vc vc vc-dispatcher lisp-mnt cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm puny epg rfc6068 epg-config display-line-numbers finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache json map byte-opt
url-vars cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa
ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 293877 17137)
 (symbols 48 11979 0)
 (strings 32 53460 4231)
 (string-bytes 1 1398237)
 (vectors 16 26244)
 (vector-slots 8 433459 19441)
 (floats 8 48 108)
 (intervals 56 20847 0)
 (buffers 992 13))