Subject: Re: bug#59662: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Add treesit--indent-defun

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 08:47:57 +0200

> Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 00:27:51 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 02/12/2022 22:07, Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, 
> the Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> > 
> > On 2 December 2022 20:53:13 CET, Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  wrote:
> >> On 01/12/2022 09:13, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >>> After all, until now this functionality and the "C-c C-q"
> >>> binding was only in CC Mode.
> >> There is also the 'M-q' binding in the popular paredit-mode.
> >>
> >> It runs paredit-reindent-defun.
> > Yeah. My first iteration was piggybacking on fill-paragraph-function to get that binding, but I believe that was undesirable.
> 
> IME it's quite handy to have in modes where there is separation between 
> (rigid) code and strings/comments.
> 
> Not sure if that's all of prog-mode descendants, or if there will be 
> exceptions.

I'm okay with making "C-c C-q" work in more modes than just C-related ones,
but please do that on master, not on the release branch.

As for M-q, it should be bound to a fill-SOMETHING command, not to a
indent-SOMETHING command.  So from my POV paredit-mode should be fixed to
use some other sequence for paredit-reindent-defun, perhaps even "C-c C-q",
but that is IMO an unrelated issue.

And if you wanted to suggest that an indent-defun command in c-ts-mode be
bound to M-q, then I'm very much against that: M-q already has a useful
command bound to it in CC Mode, and should do something similar in
c-ts-mode; I believe we are discussing that in bug#59763.