Subject: 29.0.50; typescript-ts-mode consistently fontifies method-names incorrectly

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:04:41 +0100

From: "Jostein Kjønigsen" 
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.0.50; typescript-ts-mode consistently fontifies method-names 
incorrectly
--text follows this line--

--
When I:

1. create a typescript file (sample.ts)
2. create class and add some methods to it.

I observe that:

- method names are consistently fontified as font-lock-property-face.

I expected that:

- method names to be consistently fontified as font-luck-function-name-face.

This seems to be because of the "property_identifier" is used for
functions in the treesitter-grammar, and this property is used
indiscriminately to apply font-lock-property-face at the bottom of the
major-mode grammar.

This "shadows" the former rules which correctly apply 
font-lock-function-name-face.

The best would obviously have a way to identify properties more 
accurately, to precent
shadowing from taking place. Unfortunately I cannot see a realiable way 
to do that
based on the current parse-tree.

Seeing as properties in Typescript are fairly rare while methods are 
very common,
it seems appropriate to me to remove the property-specific fontification 
rules
to restore the method-fontification rules.

I got a patch for this ready, if people are willing to accept it.

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-28 built on ThinkPad-T14s
Repository revision: a85ff22300736212e38f43cc7d56e8e3d4ae1203
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
  'configure --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: TypeScript

Minor modes in effect:
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   lsp-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-headerline-breadcrumb-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-workspace-status-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-diagnostics-mode: t
   lsp-modeline-code-actions-mode: t
   electric-pair-mode: t
   lsp-completion-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   global-ede-mode: t
   dap-tooltip-mode: t
   dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
   dap-ui-controls-mode: t
   dap-ui-mode: t
   treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
   treemacs-follow-mode: t
   treemacs-git-mode: t
   treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
   dap-auto-configure-mode: t
   dap-mode: t
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   projectile-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   lsp-managed-mode: t
   lsp-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221028.1430/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-20221020.1010/eglot hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/progmodes/eglot

Features:
(cl-print git-rebase shadow sort emacsbug magit-extras mail-extr
flyspell ispell mule-util tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter-debug
tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get
dired-aux tsc-obsolete misearch multi-isearch semantic/lex-spp ede/emacs
semantic/db semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local bug-reference magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
git-commit log-edit message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section crm
compat-27 compat-26 executable helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
helm-info url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw face-remap lsp-diagnostics lsp-headerline lsp-icons
lsp-modeline view vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher disp-table elec-pair
winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache warnings time-stamp
zeroconf dbus add-log lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte lsp-sqls
lsp-ruby-syntax-tree lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl lsp-volar
lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof lsp-ttcn3
lsp-toml lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph lsp-rust lsp-rf
lsp-remark lsp-racket lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp lsp-pyls lsp-php
lsp-pls lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-magik
lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-mint lsp-marksman lsp-markdown lsp-lua
lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-groovy
lsp-hack lsp-graphql lsp-gleam lsp-go lsp-completion lsp-gdscript
lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-emmet lsp-elixir
lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile lsp-dhall lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls
lsp-crystal lsp-cmake lsp-clojure lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-clangd
lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada lsp-actionscript
ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav paredit
editorconfig editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch flycheck highlight-symbol which-func edebug debug
backtrace nlinum linum company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
etags fileloop generator company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company-web-html
company-web company-css web-completion-data company eww url-queue shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ede/speedbar ede/files ede
ede/detect ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base eieio-speedbar
speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-custom cedet dap-mouse dap-ui lsp-treemacs
lsp-treemacs-generic lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib treemacs
treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations
treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi bindat
gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-lens dap-gdb-lldb dap-netcore dap-node dap-utils dom xml
dap-pwsh lsp-pwsh dap-python dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch lsp-docker
yaml posframe dap-overlays undo-tree diff queue doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
compat compat-macs projectile lisp-mnt grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs helm-imenu ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ido-yes-or-no ido
helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode dired
dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
cus-edit pp cus-load files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 time-date
ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core easy-mmode
async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-config
delsel cl-extra autorevert typescript-ts-mode js derived csharp-mode
treesit cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs server powershell advice shell
pcomplete hl-line lsp-mode lsp-protocol yasnippet help-mode xref project
tree-widget wid-edit spinner pcase network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode
color thingatpt noutline outline icons lv inline imenu ht filenotify f
f-shortdoc shortdoc s ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config dash dracula-theme
compile-eslint compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring cl finder-inf rx helm-projectile-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads helm-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
eglot-autoloads nlinum-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads assess-autoloads m-buffer-autoloads
cargo-autoloads package-lint-autoloads company-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads flycheck-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads git-timemachine-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
projectile-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads powershell-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
async-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads
lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads transient-autoloads
compat-autoloads paredit-autoloads pcache-autoloads f-autoloads
popup-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads s-autoloads info dash-autoloads
macrostep-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 769231 98943)
  (symbols 48 61705 77)
  (strings 32 224824 12295)
  (string-bytes 1 6961649)
  (vectors 16 129092)
  (vector-slots 8 2341344 202175)
  (floats 8 1075 874)
  (intervals 56 26101 3923)
  (buffers 992 54))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>