Subject: 27.1; My Menu Button Works on Windows, Fails on Ubuntu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 03:21:35 -0500

ubuntu 22.10
Windows 7
emacs versions:
   On linux 27.1
   On Windows 27.1 and 28.2

I load this elisp at startup:

   (define-key-after                     ;Save
     (lookup-key global-map [menu-bar])  ;map is the "key" named menu-bar
     [x9]                                ;key name
     '(menu-item "Save"                  ;label
        (lambda ()  (interactive)
          (save-buffer)                  ;function
        )
      )
     'tools                    ;put the new button after the Tools button
   )

This places a menu button after the Tools button.
On Windows, the button works as expected; it saves the current buffer.
On linux, it displays a small, white window, and then starts the game "5x5".
The button for "5x5" is the first displayed in the Tools submenu Games.
For the tools entry and for my x9 entry, the global-map variables on 
linux and Windows look the same.

My post on stackexchange received the response "same behavior here on 
Fedora"

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, 
cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2022-01-24, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-048
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /media/rjd/Data1/barn/LinuxFiles/barn/emacs/notebook.txt...
Wrote /media/rjd/Data1/barn/LinuxFiles/barn/emacs/notebook.txt
Composing main Info directory...done
user-error: Info file emacs does not existUnable to load color 
"systemmenutext"
Unable to load color "systemmenu"
Unable to load color "systemmenutext"
Unable to load color "systemmenu"

Configured using:
  'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
  x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
  --with-pop=yes
 
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
  --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
  'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-NbbgEv/emacs-27.1+1=. 
-fstack-protector-strong
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   text-scale-mode: t
   tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
   tabbar-mode: t
   msb-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Q/barn/emacs/OtherElisp/goto-chg hides /Q/barn/emacs/goto-chg
/Q/barn/emacs/OtherElisp/browse-kill-ring hides 
/Q/barn/emacs/browse-kill-ring
/Q/barn/emacs/OtherElisp/ido hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/ido
/Q/barn/emacs/OtherElisp/files hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/files

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils info time-date subr-x face-remap browse-url
cus-edit tabbar bookmark text-property-search pp msb two-column
thingatpt server recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib
easymenu time delsel cus-start cus-load tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 82151 11224)
  (symbols 48 9221 1)
  (strings 32 25068 2026)
  (string-bytes 1 765160)
  (vectors 16 16064)
  (vector-slots 8 566107 62482)
  (floats 8 52 48)
  (intervals 56 290 1)
  (buffers 1000 12))