Subject: [bug#59648] [PATCH] gnu: icedove: Use native notifications when available

From: SeerLite <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 01:39:51 +0000

Hi! Sorry, I didn't receive this response when it was sent, and it 
wasn't in my inbox.

> Hello SeerNet,

It's SeerLite :s

> hm, when I enable notifications in Thunderbird I get notifications from
> my sway desktop:
> I just enabled it via Settings -> General -> Incoming Messages -> When
> new messages arrive -> [x] Show an alert.
> 
> This is without your patch applied...

Yes, that's the same for me as well. The issue is not that there aren't 
notifications, but that IceDove chooses to use its own fallback 
implementation of them rather than using the program configured to send 
them (in my case it's dunst). Without my patch I get large notifications 
inconsistent with my setup. With my patch I get my custom configured 
dunst notifications.

I'm pretty sure Icecat would use the same fallback notification 
implementation if it didn't have libnotify. That's how I found out about 
this issue back when I made the patch after all, but I can't remember 
the details anymore. All I can say is Icedove uses the right 
notifications on my machine with the patch applied.

I hope that explains the difference and maybe you're able to reproduce 
the issue.

PS: I was actually actively waiting for a response since I sent the 
patch (same as my other patch). Unfortunately I didn't check mumi 
earlier. I've also changed my E-mail provider as the server I was 
previously using was having a hard time getting to Debbugs.