Subject: bug#59631: 29.0.50; [PATCH] New check-man target to check man pages for errors

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 17:50:05 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > The version of man used is man-db, which AFAIK is used by all major
  > > GNU/Linux distributions.

  > Exactly.  So anyone who doesn't have man-db or isn't on GNU/Linux is toast.

Saying a user "is toast" means that the user is dead.  Even if that is
taken as a metaphor, it is a bit exaggeration.

A feature limited to GNU-Like systems is not a horrible thing.  Our
policy is that support for non-GNU-like systems is at best a secondary
goal -- something users can implement if they wish, but we don't
consider the lack of that support as a problem.

It's fine to make this call Groff directly, if it has no major
drawbacks.  But please don't imply that the absence of that support
would be horrible.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)