Subject: bug#59622: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Regression in Eshell's handling of escaped newlines

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 09:57:59 -0800

On 12/7/2022 5:34 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 20:18:30 -0800
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>> I also split the patch in two: the first patch for the 29 branch (which
>> makes the least code changes I could manage), and the second as an
>> additional small cleanup patch for master only.
> 
> Since which Emacs version do we have this regression?  If it's a very
> old regression, I'd prefer not to fix it on the emacs-29 branch.

This worked properly in Emacs 28 and is broken in 29. I'm not 100% sure 
which patch regressed it, but my guess is patch 0003 in bug#54227, which 
was merged in March.

>>   @subsection Quoting and escaping
>>   As with other shells, you can escape special characters and spaces
>> -with by prefixing the character with a backslash (@code{\}), or by
>> -surrounding the string with apostrophes (@code{''}) or double quotes
>> -(@code{""}).  This is needed especially for file names with special
>> -characters like pipe (@code{|}), which could be part of remote file
>> +with by prefixing the character with a backslash (@samp{\}), or by
> 
> "with by prefixing" is a typo; probably "with" should be dropped.

Good catch! I missed that despite reading it a few times while editing 
the manual.