Subject: 29.0.50; global-whitespace-mode + org-capture: "Marker does not point anywhere"

From: Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:42:27 +0100

Afternoon,

If attempting to capture something while global-whitespace-mode is on,
a second capture will fail with "Marker does not point anywhere".  The
first capture attempt presumably succeeds since whitespace-mode didn't
touch the buffer yet at time of searching.  Reproduction steps:

1. emacs -Q --execute '(global-whitespace-mode)'
2. M-x org-capture RET t C-c C-c
2. M-x org-capture RET t

Note that while I'm reporting this from the mu4e-headers mode, I
reproduced it in other modes before.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-11-22 built on localhost
Repository revision: 368d2531bec84c2e75b2fd2f32bb59fc2e7ee520
Repository branch: master
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.9999
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.9999/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-29-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat --with-libgmp
 --with-gpm --with-native-compilation=aot --with-json --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2 --without-mailutils
 --without-selinux --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd
 --with-threads --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa --with-zlib
 --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-harfbuzz --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --without-webp --with-imagemagick
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e-headers

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.config/emacs/lp/poke-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/poke-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/home/arsen/.config/emacs/elpa/dash-2.19.1/dash-functional hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dash/dash-functional
/home/arsen/.config/emacs/elpa/dash-2.19.1/dash hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dash/dash
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode
/home/arsen/.config/emacs/elpa/with-editor-3.2.0/with-editor hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/with-editor/with-editor
/home/arsen/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug term/tmux term/xterm xterm cl-print doctor cal-move
vc-dir magit-patch magit-subtree magit-gitignore magit-ediff ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util gnus-msg autoconf-mode dired-aux po-mode calc-undo calccomp
calc-incom calc-misc bug-reference magit-extras magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func edebug
magit-diff git-commit log-edit magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm c-ts-mode term ehelp
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
ls-lisp shortdoc tabify org-capture org-refile calc-alg calc-ext
calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs novice url-http url-auth url-gw
eudc-capf eudc cus-edit cus-start cus-load eudc-vars smerge-mode diff
shr-color org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
gnus-score score-mode epa-file network-stream nsm mailalias rect
face-remap add-log make-mode emacs-news-mode mm-archive sort smiley
gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check qp misearch multi-isearch ebuild-mode
skeleton sh-script smie treesit executable vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher
server comp comp-cstr flyspell ispell gruvbox-dark-medium-theme gruvbox
autothemer color lisp-mnt dash mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
gnus nnheader range wid-edit mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark
mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom flow-fill
mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server
mu4e-context mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config bookmark ido message
sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader auth-source-pass edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-ensure use-package-core
easy-mmode display-fill-column-indicator disp-table cl-extra
display-line-numbers yasnippet org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601
time-date ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs whitespace eglot array
filenotify jsonrpc ert pp ewoc debug backtrace find-func xref
flymake-proc flymake thingatpt warnings icons compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color pcase project imenu
site-gentoo magit-autoloads org-roam-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
emacsql-sqlite-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads oauth2-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads gruvbox-theme-autoloads autothemer-autoloads
dash-autoloads with-editor-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-impl
help-fns radix-tree help-mode geiser-custom geiser-base ring
geiser-autoloads info transient-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 965984 412328)
 (symbols 48 59263 39)
 (strings 32 208039 25577)
 (string-bytes 1 5924998)
 (vectors 16 115323)
 (vector-slots 8 2651886 744218)
 (floats 8 704 1556)
 (intervals 56 39870 6787)
 (buffers 992 59))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Have a most wonderful day,
-- 
Arsen Arsenović