Subject: bug#59609: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Better advertise (Non-)GNU ELPA in emacs manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 18:54:14 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I'm correcting a message I didn't write clearly.

  > +  By default, Emacs downloads packages from GNU ELPA
  > +(@url{https://elpa.gnu.org/}), a package archive maintained by the
  > +Emacs developers and hosted by the GNU project.  It also downloads
  > +packages from NonGNU ELPA (@url{https://elpa.nongnu.org/}).

I said:

    I think it is ok to say this provided that these are packages we can't
    or should not include in Emacs, so people can't depend on them
    to continue to be present.

I should have said:

    I think it is ok to say this about NonGNU ELPA provided we say
    clearly that these are packages we can't or should not include in
    Emacs, so people should not depend on them to continue to be
    present.

Sorry.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)