Subject: Re: bug#59606: flags take up so many columns

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 21:51:28 +0100

# Boldly closing & merging as this looks like 57976 to me.  See below.
close 59606
merge 57976 59606
thanks

Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

>    Anyways I was just using Debian sid...

… which has both Harfbuzz 5.2.0 and Emacs 28.2, which is known to be a
problematic configuration.  This really looks like bug#57976, especially
with your screenshot; a fix was pushed to the emacs-28 branch, but I'm
guessing there won't be another 28.x release, so AFAICT your options are

* if you build Emacs yourself, use either the tip of the emacs-28
  branch, emacs-29, or master;

* if you use Emacs as distributed in Debian sid, report the problem to
  the distro, so they apply the fix[1] to their tree.

On the Emacs side, IIUC, there is nothing more the the project can do,
so closing.

[1] 2022-09-23 "Fix shaping with bitmap-only fonts on HarfBuzz 5.2.0
(Bug#57976)" (60ac12d21f).