Subject: bug#59606: flags take up so many columns

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:39:59 +0100

Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

> KLG> Unless I missed something, you still haven't described what you are
> KLG> seeing precisely (specifically, how many columns each emoji takes on
> KLG> your setup), so it is not clear what you wish to "take up" to the Noto
> KLG> developers.
>
> Actually I mentioned it with a string of BBBB for blanks.

(Apologies; my eyes glazed over the describe-char output)

> And indeed I was seeing around 19-9=10 blanks.

(Not sure I follows your logic; are you implying that the difference in
pixel size is converted in an equivalent number of columns?)

> In fact it would be great if you could report the exact problem to the
> parties involved for me. Thanks.

No other participant in this thread has witnessed the symptoms you have,
so we need more information about your setup.  Your OP says:

> emacs-version 28.2

And your font backend seems to be ftcrhb.  Given that, could you…

* tell us what versions of Cairo and Harfbuzz you are using?

* try to compile the tip of the emacs-28 branch?  There's a bugfix for
  Harfbuzz in the emacs-28.2..emacs-28 range, and the corresponding
  report (bug#57976) mentions extra spacing for emoji (the OP's
  screenshot actually shows symptoms similar to yours, AFAICT).

* try to compile the emacs-29 branch?

* (confirm that you see this from emacs -Q?  I don't remember you saying
  so, but it wouldn't be the first thing I've missed)