Subject: bug#59605: closed (Re: bug#59605: 29.0.50; gdb no more creates Gud menu entry for source file window)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59605: 29.0.50; gdb no more creates Gud menu entry for source file window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59605: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59605
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59605: 29.0.50; gdb no more creates Gud menu entry for source file window
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 21:21:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 12:55:37 -0500
> 
> The immediate problem in the patch is that it removed
> 
>     (setf (alist-get 'gud-minor-mode minor-mode-map-alist)
>           gud-minor-mode-map)
> 
> without replacing it with anything else.
> Re-adding those 2 lines seems to bring back the previous behavior.

Thanks.  I could've sworn that I tried that and it didn't work, which is why
I decided this was because gud-minor-mode is not a proper minor mode.  But I
guess my testing was flawed, because it definitely does work.

So I've now made that change, and I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 29.0.50; gdb no more creates Gud menu entry for source file window
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:28:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With emacs -Q visit an arbitrary Emacs C source file and do your
equivalent of M-: (gdb "gdb -i=mi emacs").  Now selecting the window
showing the source file buffer no more shows a Gud menu entry.  This has
the consequence that mouse clicking in a fringe no more sets/unsets a
breakpoint in that buffer.

The commit responsible for that behavior is

commit 8bb5c1bfec0929f2ba419e1c503f5acc01c336c2
Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date:   Thu Sep 1 13:39:14 2022 +0200

     Make easy-mmode-defmap obsolete and adjust only caller

     * lisp/emacs-lisp/easy-mmode.el (easy-mmode-defmap): Make obsolete.
     * lisp/progmodes/gud.el (gud-menu-map): Use easy-menu-define.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-25 built on restno
Repository revision: d34fc7b7aa9d2779ebbada5cecd8bd2806e3e01e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
  --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type=yes
  'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -no-pie -Wno-missing-braces''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
   bug-reference-prog-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date files-x
gdb-mi subr-x bindat cl-seq gud comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc vc-dispatcher bug-reference byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 101788 8711)
  (symbols 48 9691 0)
  (strings 32 31838 2200)
  (string-bytes 1 1451333)
  (vectors 16 17949)
  (vector-slots 8 233954 13977)
  (floats 8 32 49)
  (intervals 56 4214 0)
  (buffers 984 18))