Subject: bug#59602: 29.0.50; csharp-mode should either be a package, or compat code could be removed

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:58:35 +0100

This may be a bit "on the side", but if me and Theodor are going to be 
maintaining csharp-mode in Emacs core, we currently face the slight 
"challenge" of not actually having write/push-access to the Emacs 
git-repo at savannah.

That means that at top of our ability, we will be able to email in 
patches (like Theodor did now!) and hope for someone to review and/or 
merge them.

While don't expect that providing for unlimited git-access out of the 
blue probably is how new major-modes are taken in, I'm also not sure 
what the "normal" procedure is in cases like this.

Are there someone particular we are recommended to CC in our emails to 
make sure the patches get picked up efficiently? And what if it's not a 
registered "bug" yet, but just an improvement? Should we send it to 
emacs-devel instead?

In short: Do you guys have any "onboarding guide" we can follow to make 
sure everyone is happy, and our patches get reviewed and applied 
efficiently? :)

Any guidance appreciated!

--
Kind regards
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>
On 26.11.2022 20:12, Theodor Thornhill wrote:
> Stefan Kangas<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Severity: wishlist
>>
>> Is csharp-mode.el intended to be a :core package or should people just
>> use the version that comes with Emacs?
>>
>> If the former, I guess some Version and Package-Requires headers
>> are needed.
>>
>> If the latter, the compat code starting on line 512 could probably be
>> removed.
> I agree.  The compat code should be removed.  I don't thing we have much
> to gain by maintaining this as a :core package, so here's a patch doing
> what you suggest.  I don't think that code should be part of Emacs at
> all, if not absolutely necessary :-)
>
> Theo
>