Subject: Re: bug#59601: 29.0.50; csharp-mode variables missing prefix

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:30:26 -0700

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> The codedoc variables should _not_ have a csharp- prefix.  Conceptually,
> codedoc is not part of csharp-mode, and could start being used by any CC
> Mode mode, just as gtkdoc is used by both C and C++ modes.
>
> Also, "codedoc" (like "gtkdoc", etc.) is prefixed to
> "-font-lock-doc-comments" and the result interned to get the function to
> fontify the doc comments.  Thus codedoc-font-lock-doc-comments _will_ be
> getting used.
>
> So, yes, the naming convention is essential to the working of CC Mode's
> doc comments.
>
> Whether it would be the Right Thing to add codedoc to CC Mode itself,
> I'm not sure.  doxygen was added quite recently, but that is genuinely a
> language independent format.  I'm a little worried about getting some
> coupling between, say, csharp-mode and CC Mode where there wasn't any
> before.

Thank you, that clears things up.  I agree that we should not do any
changes here, and we certainly want to avoid any coupling if we don't
need it.  Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I opened this bug, so I hope that it will be fine if I close it.
I'm therefore doing that with this email.