Subject: Re: bug#59601: 29.0.50; csharp-mode variables missing prefix

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:53:33 +0000

Hello, Theodor and Stefan.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 12:30:06 -0700, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> Severity: wishlist

> >> Should these variables have the prefix `csharp-'?

> >>     `codedoc-font-lock-doc-comments'
> >>     `codedoc-font-lock-keywords'

> >> I also see that `codedoc-font-lock-keywords' seems to be unused?

> > I believe they need to be like this, for some CC Mode magic reason. See
> > `javadoc-font-lock-keywords' and friends.  I believe CC Mode picks them
> > up and that they should follow that naming convention.  I've CC'd Alan
> > just to confirm.  If you agree Alan then they could be part of
> > cc-fonts.el now that csharp-mode is in core.  What do you think?

> Ping.  Alan, do you have any comments?

Sorry I missed your (Theodor's) post ~10 months ago.

The codedoc variables should _not_ have a csharp- prefix.  Conceptually,
codedoc is not part of csharp-mode, and could start being used by any CC
Mode mode, just as gtkdoc is used by both C and C++ modes.

Also, "codedoc" (like "gtkdoc", etc.) is prefixed to
"-font-lock-doc-comments" and the result interned to get the function to
fontify the doc comments.  Thus codedoc-font-lock-doc-comments _will_ be
getting used.

So, yes, the naming convention is essential to the working of CC Mode's
doc comments.

Whether it would be the Right Thing to add codedoc to CC Mode itself,
I'm not sure.  doxygen was added quite recently, but that is genuinely a
language independent format.  I'm a little worried about getting some
coupling between, say, csharp-mode and CC Mode where there wasn't any
before.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).